The water-fuel calculator is concerned about a number of things:
- Is the ship fully staffed (100% Crew)
- How many crew members?
- How large is the ship's hull?
- Does the Ship Have 20+ Solar Sail?
- Does the Ship Have 30+ Solar Sail?
- Is the Ship's Solar Sail Full Repaired?
- Does the Ship Have 20+ Reactor Engine?
- Does the Ship Have 30+ Reactor Engine?
- How High is the Captain's Pilot?
- How High is the Captain's Intimidation?
- What is the current difficulty?
The ratio in v2.2 is more tightly controlled than previous versions, but a single solar sail damage can make a big difference. Three missing sails can be a serious problem unless the Captain's skills are up to it.
My tip guide for getting to best fuel range:
- Pilot & Intimidate = 1/2 of Hull
- Nano-Coat Solar Upgrade to 25 Solar Sail
- Always Repair Sails first
- then engines
- then hull
- Keep a full crew when possible
- running out of water-fuel is only an issue without luxury rations
- negotiation can help luxury rations last longer