Consistently recently we have received reports that Captains are confused by the behavior of some[*] neutral and faction Merchant Captains. In light of that feedback the next release will contain a revised set of rules for Merchants and Smugglers operating under a Trade Permit for a Faction.
From the Captain's point of View
- The Captain knows he will no loose reputation by ignoring, acknowledging or retreating from merchants (if they really are merchants. Bounty Hunters with high Stealth may appear as Merchants.)
- The Captain will see the Acknowledge button for Merchants. This button will appear in a way similar to Smugglers -- the Merchants and Smugglers want to leave the area as much as the Captain does.
From the Merchants point of View
- The Merchant AI no longer reports any Captain who does not acknowledge Faction Authority IF the Captain's reputation is above -15
- The Smuggler AI no longer reports any Captain who does not acknowledge Faction authority IF the Captain's reputation is above -20
- The Merchant and Smuggler expect to acknowledge at long distance and leave the area. Any attempt to advance to closer range is a violation of Faction laws. Most Merchants will report that infraction to the Faction.
[*]The game contains many different types of each Captain (behavior, how they spend the XP, ect) for each major category.